HIGH SPRINGS – Just days before the September shooting deaths of Trenda and Anthony Hogg, High Springs police officers were called to the family’s residence, a report shows.

On Sept. 11, Police arrested 58-year-old Russell Dewayne Hogg, charging the High Springs man with killing his wife and son just hours earlier on that same day.

High Springs Police Department (HSPD) records obtained by Alachua County Today reveal that on Sept. 9, two police officers were dispatched to the Hogg home at 240 SW Poe Springs Road, just two days before the fatal shooting, which left Trenda Hogg, 48 and her 22-year-old son, Anthony Wayne Hogg, dead.

Police officers responded to the home at least twice that day because of a domestic disturbance, the report states.

One of the officers wrote of the Sept. 9 incident that when he arrived at the Hogg home, another HSPD officer was already there and, “Russell, Trenda, and Anthony Hogg were in the street yelling and screaming at one another.”

Apparently at the center of the dispute was a 2005 Ford pickup truck registered to Russell or Trenda Hogg, but driven by their son, Anthony.

Russell Hogg was reportedly angered when Anthony Hogg attempted to leave in the truck, which officers noted had an expired tag.

The HSPD officer wrote, “All parties separated.  There was no physical violence.”  The officer also reported that he was dispatched to the home again, but the disturbance was “simply verbal.”

A source has reported to Alachua County Today that during the Sept. 9 incident, officers handcuffed Russell Hogg, but never charged him, allegedly because family member weren’t interested in pursuing the matter.

Since his Sept. 11 arrest, Russell Hogg’s case has been working its way through the court system.  Most recently, the State Attorney’s office has indicated that, beginning Dec. 21, it will be conducting interviews with witnesses related to the case.

The State is taking depositions from 22 people.  The list includes nine Columbia County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) deputies, four Alachua County Sheriff’s Office (ACSO) deputies, two HSPD officers and seven others connected to the case, including at least one Hogg family member.

A case management conference has been set for Jan. 19, 2012 in Gainesville for the Hogg case.  Russell Hogg has filed a waiver of speedy trial.

The State, meanwhile, has reported to the court, that it has provided evidence to Hogg’s defense attorney.  Among the evidence are CDs and DVDs containing photos, 911 audio, an interview with Hogg and in-car video from several officers.

The State is seeking the death penalty against Hogg, who has been charged with premeditated murder.

In the week following the September shooting, a grand jury indicted Hogg on two counts of first degree murder, one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm.

Hogg is being held without bail on the murder charges and on $100,000 for each of the other three charges.  His legal counsel submitted a plea of not guilty on his behalf on Sept. 22.

According to an ACSO arrest report, just before 1 p.m. on Sept. 11, Russell Hogg pulled into the driveway of the family home at 240 Poe Springs Road in High Springs.  He allegedly exited his vehicle, pulling out an AK-47 rifle and pointed it at his son stating, “I told you I was going to kill you,” to which Anthony Hogg replied, “shoot me then.”

Russell Hogg reportedly fired two rounds at his son, striking him in the torso.  The report states, “[Russell Hogg] then walked up to him and shot one round to his face.”

Upon realizing Anthony Hogg had been shot, Trenda Hogg ran outside where “Russell [Hogg] pointed the gun at her and fired several rounds at her,” the arrest record states.

Russell Hogg then threw the gun down and an eyewitness grabbed the gun and threw it under the house to prevent further access to it.  Russell Hogg then got into his car and left, officials report.

Two witnesses told investigators that Hogg stated his intentions to commit the crime beforehand.  “Russell was at their home and made the statement he “was going over to kill them.”  After the shooting, Russell Hogg allegedly returned to the witnesses’ home where he stated, “I told you I was gonna’ kill them,” the report states.

Columbia County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested Russell Hogg on U.S. Highway 441 a short time after the shooting.

Hogg made several statements acknowledging that he killed his wife and son, according to Alachua County Sheriff’s Office Detective Sandra Myers.

Among his statements to investigators was that, “Tony [Anthony Russell] had gotten too big for his britches,” and that if he could have whipped his son, he would have, “rather than having to kill him.”

Myers wrote, “Russell [Hogg] also stated that it hurt him to see his wife laying there barely breathing because he did not want her to die.”

“I just killed my family and the bread winner of the home,” Russell Hogg allegedly said.