GAINESVILLE ‒ Alachua County Fire Rescue (ACFR) reported that one person was extricated and four people were transported to the hospital following a high-speed rear-end collision at the intersection of Northwest 43rd Street and U.S. Highway 441 between Alachua and Gainesville. The incident occurred at approximately 8 p.m., Oct. 26.

ACFR responded with Gainesville Fire Rescue and multiple law enforcement agencies. All northbound lanes of U.S. Highway 441 were closed until 10:30 p.m. while the accident was cleared.

According to a Florida Highway Patrol (FHP), a 2007 Lexus, driven by a 45-year-old Alachua person, was traveling north on U.S. 441, after turning left from Northwest 43rd Street. The Lexus had two passengers, a 20-year-old Alachua man and a 44-year-old female, also from Alachua.

A 2002 GMC pickup truck driven by a 20-year-old Branford man disregarded the red light and struck the rear of the Lexus. After the initial collision the pickup truck came to a final rest in the left northbound lane. The Lexus came to a final rest on the east shoulder.

A third vehicle, a 2017 Nissan driven by a 41-year-old Alachua woman, was traveling north on U.S. Hwy 441. The driver failed to notice the disabled/stopped pickup truck in the left lane until the front of the Nissan struck the rear of the pickup truck.

A fourth vehicle, a 2017 Toyota driven by a 40-year-old Gainesville woman failed to slow or stop in time. The front of her Toyota struck the rear of the Nissan. Two passengers were also in the Toyota, a 10-year-old female and a 12-year-old boy, both from Gainesville.

Significant damage was done to two of the vehicles and FHP listed the driver of the pickup truck and the driver and passengers in the Lexus as serious. One patient was removed with the “Jaws of Life,” and ACFR reported that four patients were transported to the hospital with injuries ranging from minor to severe. The driver/passengers in the Nissan and Toyota were listed with no injuries based on the FHP report.

Alachua Police Department reported that three patients were transported in critical condition.

#     #     #

Email cwalker@